Axel Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Axel:
A borrowing from the Scandinavians, Axel is a cognate of the biblical Absalom, which is derived from the Hebrew ‘abshālōm (the father is peace). Var: Aksel, Apsel.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Axel? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Axel
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden 2014
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders) 2014
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders), 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden for 2012
- Icelandic Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Iceland 2014
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders) for 2012
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
Contribute your knowledge to the name Axel
- Comments and insights on the name Axel
- Personal experiences with the name Axel
- Nicknames for Axel
Ax, Axman, ELT
- Meanings and history of the name Axel
On all the sites I looked on, Axel meant My father is peace of Father OF peace. I thought it was interesting that it was very similar, but the meaning is talking about two different people, so it's almost completely different.
- Famous real-life people named Axel
Axl Rose of Guns 'n' Roses (Not quite Axel)
Axel Alonso is American comic book creator, editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics
Axel Paulsen, Olympic gold medalist, inventor of the figure skating Axel jump
Axel Merckx, professional bicyclist, son of the great Eddy Merckx, professional bicyclist
Axel Springer, German journalist
Axel Olin, NBA player
Axel Stein is a German actor and comedian.
Axel the Jury
Axel Lee McElhenney (b. 2010), son of American actress, model and comedian Kaitlin Olson and American actor, producer, and screenwriter Rob McElhenney
Axel Paulin Ferrell (b. 2010), son of American actor, comedian, producer, and writer Will Ferrell
Axel Strahl Meyers (b. 2018), son of American comedian, writer, political commentator, actor, and television host Seth Meyers, brother to Ashe Olsen
Axel Charles Bale (b. 2018), son of Welsh professional footballer Gareth Bale, brother to Alba Violet and Nava Valentina
Axel Auriant-Blot, french actor and drummer (chaotic lovable mess)
- Axel in song, story & screen
Axel, a protagonist in Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth
Axel Foley, Eddie Murphy's character in Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Axel, Number VIII in Organization XIII, Kingdom Hearts
Axel is a character on ABC TV series, The Middle, played by Charlie McDermott.