Boris Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Boris:
Derived from the Russian boris (fight).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Boris? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Boris
Contribute your knowledge to the name Boris
- Comments and insights on the name Boris
- Personal experiences with the name Boris
- Nicknames for Boris
Bobby (most common), Borya (in Russia), Borkoh (in slavic countries), Bo
- Meanings and history of the name Boris
The name Boris is an ancient Bulgarian name.
ORIGINS: Ethymologically the name Boris originates from the name Bjori / Bogoris 2000 years ago.
According to the historical sources there are two meanings - WOLF / SNOW LEOPARD.
The name Boris is a heathen name. Boris originates from a totemist religion the ancient Bulgarians had.
Note: The name Boris has nothing to do with the Russian culture at all except that its an important name for the Russian Orthodox Church. You can check the facts in Wikipedia.
Note: Teresa Norman incorrectly says that Boris means "to fight". There is another name in both Russian and Bulgarian that has this ethymology: "Borislav". Borislav means "one who fights for glory" - it comes from the verb "borya" which means "to fight" in Bulgarian and other slavic languages ("slavah" means glory).
HISTORY: The first historically popular person that had the name Boris is Boris I, king and baptist of Bulgaria. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_I_of_Bulgaria )
Boris First is the ruler that converted Bulgaria to Christianity.
Once Boris was baptised and converted to Christianity himself he got the name Boris-Mikhail (Michael).
IMPORTANT: Notice that while Michael is a Christian name, Boris is a heathen name.
SIDENOTES: The name Boris is an important name for the Orthodox Christian Church (Greece, Bulgaria, Russia, Macedonia, Serbia ...)
Boris is a very popular name in Bulgaria.
Because of historical reasons (including Russia becoming a Christian nation) Boris became a very popular name in Russia and many slavic countries.
- Famous real-life people named Boris
- Boris I of Bulgaria, Bulgarian king who made Bulgaria a Christian nation
- Boris III, king of Bulgaria
- Boris Becker, tennis player
- Boris Yeltsin, Former President of Russia
- Boris Karloff, an English actor
- (Alexander) Boris Johnson, English politician(ish) and (former) mayor of London
- Boris Diaw, a French professional basketball player who currently plays for the San Antonio Spurs of the National Basketball Association (NBA)
- Boris Said, an American race car driver
- Boris in song, story & screen
Boris Badenov, Russian spy character in "Bullwinkle"