Colin Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Colin:
Borrowed from the English, Colin originated as a medieval variant of the obsolete Colle, a short form of Nicholas (victory of the people). Alternatively, Colin is the Anglicized form of the Gaelic Cailean (dove). Var: Collan, Collin, Collun, Coln, Colun.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Colin? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Colin
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden 2014
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany 2014
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
Contribute your knowledge to the name Colin
- Comments and insights on the name Colin
- Personal experiences with the name Colin
- Nicknames for Colin
- Meanings and history of the name Colin
bossy, talkative one, likes to take charge.
Colin-Cailean also means "Victory for the People"
- Famous real-life people named Colin
Colin Braun, race car driver
Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers quarterback
Colin Cowherd, ESPN radio show host (The Herd)
Colin Edwards, MotoGP motorcycle racer
Colin Farrell, actor
Colin Firth, actor
Colin Fraser (1) Scottish rebel, last man beheaded in the Tower of London
Colin Fraser (2) Canadian Ice-hockey player (retd)
Colin McRae, race car driver
Colin Meloy, lead singer of The Decemberists
Colin Mochrie, comedian
Colin Morgan, actor
Colin O'Donoghue, Irish actor
Colin Powell, general and former Secretary of State
Colin Turkington, race car driver
Colin Michael Stanley (b. 2006), son of American musician, singer, songwriter, and painter Paul Stanley
Colin Francis O'Connor (b. 2007), son of former Amazing Race contestant Kevin O'Connor
- Colin in song, story & screen
Colin Craven, a character from Frances Hodgson Burnett's "The Secret Garden"
Colin Creevey, a Gryffindor student in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Colin Singleton, the protagonist from John Green's novel, "An Abundance of Katherines"
Colin Fisher "Bones"
Colin Gilchrist Fisher character "Oxford Blues" 1984 ( played by Julian Sands)