Douglass Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Douglas:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Gaelic Dubhglas, a compounding of the elements dubh (black, dark) and glas (blue, green, gray). Dubhglas was a common Celtic river name, and the surname might have originated to denote one who lived near the river. Short: Doug. Pet: Dougie, Duggie.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Douglass? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Douglass
Contribute your knowledge to the name Douglass
- Comments and insights on the name Douglass
- Personal experiences with the name Douglass
- Nicknames for Douglass
- Meanings and history of the name Douglass
- Famous real-life people named Douglass
- Douglass in song, story & screen