Javier Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Javier:
Transferred use of the Spanish surname derived from the place-name Xavier in Navarre. The name, which is believed to be derived from the Basque Etcheberria (the new house), was originally borne in honor of St. Francis Xavier (1506 - 52), a famous Spanish missionary to Japan and the East Indies and the patron saint of missionaries in foreign lands.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Javier? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Javier
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Paraguayan Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Paraguay
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
Contribute your knowledge to the name Javier
- Comments and insights on the name Javier
"Francisco Javier" is a common combination, after St. Francis Xavier.
- Personal experiences with the name Javier
- Nicknames for Javier
Javi Americanization: Harvey
- Meanings and history of the name Javier
The name has Basque roots, etymologically originating in the word exaberri (etxe berri in standard spelling, meaning "new house").
- Famous real-life people named Javier
Javier Bardem (Spanish actor)
Javier Solís, Mexican singer
Javier Aguirre, Mexican soccer player and Coach
Javier Vazquez, MLB Pitcher
Javier Echevarría Rodríguez, Spanish Bishop
Javier Zanetti, Argentine Soccer Player
Javier Saviola, Argentine Soccer Player
Javier Solana, Former Secretary-General of NATO
Javier "Javy" López, Former MLB Catcher
Javier Mascherano, Argentine Soccer Player
- Javier in song, story & screen
Javier Esposito, from the TV show Castle