Maxwell Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Maxwell:
Transferred use of the Scottish surname originating from a place-name derived from the name Maccus (great) and the Old English wielle (spring, pool) or wella (stream). The name was indicative of one who dwelled at Maccus' spring or the stream of Maccus.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Maxwell? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Maxwell
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales) 2014
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria) 2014
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Queensland)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Maxwell
- Comments and insights on the name Maxwell
- Personal experiences with the name Maxwell
- Nicknames for Maxwell
Max, Maxwelly (that's what my niece calls him), Wellie-bear, Max-man, Max Max, Maxi, Maxie, Wells
My oldest brothers name is Maxwell but we call him Max, as a joke but not to his face i call him Maxipad, maxipoop, etc. but mostly we always call him max
- Meanings and history of the name Maxwell
- Famous real-life people named Maxwell
James Clerk Maxwell, of Maxwell's equations, famous Scottish theoretical physicist and mathematician
Maxwell Atoms, American animator and voice actor
Maxwell Drew Johnson, DAUGHTER of Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson
Maxwell Lue Rollins, DAUGHTER of actress Lindsay Sloane
Maxwell Haze Richardson, son of Kevin Richardson, member of the Backstreet Boys
Maxwell Mark Croft (b. 2008), son of English singer and media personality Kerry Katona
Maxwell Edward Armstrong (b. 2009), son of American former professional and disgraced road racing cyclist Lance Armstrong
- Maxwell in song, story & screen
Maxwell's Silver Hammer (Beatles song)
Maxwell Smart from TVs "Get Smart"
"Maxwell Murder" (Rancid song)
Maxwell Sheffield (The Nanny)
Maxwell "Max" Lightwood, younger brother of main characters Isabelle "Izzy" and Alexander "Alec" Lightwood in Cassandra Clare's book series "The Mortal Instruments"
Maxwell Q. Klinger, character on television show M*A*S*H