Olivier Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Olivier? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Olivier
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) 2014
- Polish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Poland 2014
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) for 2013
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Dutch Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in The Netherlands
- Polish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Poland
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Olivier
- Comments and insights on the name Olivier
It is a cool name and fits well with Xavier. You could give them nicknames of Xavi (zav-ee) and Oli(o-lee).
It is pronounced o-liv-ee-er.
- Personal experiences with the name Olivier
My name is Olivier, and overall it isn't very different from Oliver another than the pronunciation. As I'm still in school, the main problem I have with the name is how many, MANY teachers always end up saying Olivia to the point where I've stopped correcting them and automatically assumed the teacher would get my name wrong. However not every teacher will get the name wrong just a selective few. Other than that the name is rather lovely to have, as well as telling people y french heritage when they question if my name is French.
- Nicknames for Olivier
- Meanings and history of the name Olivier
French form of Oliver.
Norman French form of a Germanic name, possibly the name Alfihar meaning "elf army". The spelling was altered by association with Latin oliva "olive tree". In the Middle Ages the name became well-known in Western Europe because of the French epic 'La Chanson de Roland', in which Olivier was a friend and advisor of the hero Roland.
In England Oliver was a common medieval name, however it became rare after the 17th century because of the military commander Oliver Cromwell, who ruled the country following the civil war. The name was revived in the 19th century, perhaps in part due to the title character in Charles Dickens' novel 'Oliver Twist' (1838), which was about a poor orphan living on the streets of London.
Is this name pronounced the same way as oliver? I like this spelling better but don't want it to change how it sounds.
- Famous real-life people named Olivier
Olivier Martinez (french actor)
- Olivier in song, story & screen