Astrid Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Astrid:
Derived from the Old Norse Ássfriđr, an Old Norse compound name composed of the elements áss (a god) and friđr (beautiful, fair).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Astrid? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Astrid
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark 2014
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden for 2012
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark 2015
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway
Contribute your knowledge to the name Astrid
- Comments and insights on the name Astrid
- Personal experiences with the name Astrid
- Nicknames for Astrid
Sassa, Asta, Strid, Ash, Ari, Ari Ari
- Meanings and history of the name Astrid
Astrid means "beautiful as a goddess" in Old Norse.
Pronounced: AHS-trid in Germany. AHS-tree in Norway.
- Famous real-life people named Astrid
Astrid Lindgren, Swedish children's book author (e.g. Pippi Longstocking, Brothers Lionheart, Mio, Ronja Robber's daughter and many more)
Astrid Kirchherr, German photographer and artist.
Astrid Sofia Lovisa Thyra, Princess of Sweden, Queen of Belgium
Astrid Joséphine-Charlotte Fabrizia Elisabeth Paola Marie, Princess of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Êste
- Astrid in song, story & screen
Astrid Levinson (daughter of Jan Levinson on "The Office")
Astrid Magnussen, main character in the novel and film "White Oleander", played by Alison Lohman
Astrid Farnsworth, a fictional character on the Television show Fringe.
Astrid Peth, a fictional character, played by Kylie Minogue, in the television show "Doctor Who."
Astrid Larson, important character in The Change series novels by S. M. Stirling.
Astrid Hofferson, a fictional character, voiced by America Ferrera, in the movie "How to Train Your Dragon."
Astrid Ellison, a character in the Gone series by Michael Grant
Astrid is the name of a master assassin in the rpg video game "Skyrim"