Britt Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Britt:
Variant of Brett, an English surname derived from the Old French Bret (a Breton), an ethnic name for a native of Brittany.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Britt? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Britt
Contribute your knowledge to the name Britt
- Comments and insights on the name Britt
People ALWAYS assume my name is short for Brittany or Brittney because I was unfortunate enough to be born in the '80s when that name was running rampant.
I love being a Britt! As a child I wanted an obviously feminine or flowery name but now that I'm in my 30s I prefer Britt. It's light and easy for just about everyone to pronounce, yet is also sharp and unique. Most people assume it is Scandinavian or British. The "bri-" beginning reminds me of words like "bright," or "brilliant" or "brisance" or "brisk."
About half of the mail I receive is addressed to "Mr. Britt lastname," even though I'm a girl. Some marketing database must have determined Britt was a boy's name.
I've often read that Britt is a derivative of Bridget, and its meaning is "strength" or "lofty one."
- Personal experiences with the name Britt
Sadly, this name rhymes with a lot of vulgar words as I found out going through middle school.
It seems some people have an issue with single syllable names and add a "y" or "a" at the end to give the name more verbal substance.
While I completely relate to other Britt's experiences of vulgar rhymes and being mistaken as a "Mr" in the mail, I love my name. It's short, but I think there's something very feminine about it, and I love that it ties me to my Scandinavian roots. My full name is actually Britt-Marie, which is apparently more common in Sweden, and for as much confusion/grief as a unique name gave me growing up, I'm very glad for it now.
- Nicknames for Britt
- Meanings and history of the name Britt
- Famous real-life people named Britt
- Britt Ekland: Swedish actress who played the Bond girl in 1974's "The Man with the Golden Gun", famously linked with Rod Stewart, Lou Adler, and ex-husband Peter Sellers.
- Britt Nicole: Born Brittany Nicole Waddell, Christian music artist
- Britt Raaby: Danish freestyle swimmer
- Britt Daniel: Lead singer of the band Spoon (male)
- Britt in song, story & screen