Harriet Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Harriet:
English form of the French Henriette, a feminine diminutive of Henri (ruler of an enclosure, home ruler).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Harriet? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Harriet
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) 2014
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales (2013)
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England 2015
- Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Wales
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Queensland)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Harriet
- Comments and insights on the name Harriet
- Personal experiences with the name Harriet
- Nicknames for Harriet
Ettie / Etty
Has / Haz
Hattie / Hatty
Hetty / Hettie
- Meanings and history of the name Harriet
Feminine form of Henry, from German, meaning "home ruler".
- Famous real-life people named Harriet
Harriet Andersson, Swedish actress
Harriet Arbuthnot (1793–1834), English diarist, social observer, and political hostess
Harriet Backer, Norwegian painter
Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and writer
Harriet Bland, Olympic gold medal-winning sprinter
Harriet Bosse, actress
Harriet Boyd-Hawes, American archaeologist
Harriet Brooks, nuclear physicist
Harriet Chalmers Adams, American writer, explorer and photographer
Harriet Elphinstone-Dick, early English-Australian swimming champion
Harriet Harman, UK politician and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party
Harriet Howard, mistress of Napoleon III
Harriet Lindeman, politician
Harriet Ann Jacobs, American abolitionist and writer
Harriet B. Jones (1856 - 1943), the first woman to be licensed as a physician in West Virginia
Harriet Keopuolani, Hawaiian queen
Harriet Lane, niece of President James Buchanan and acting First Lady of the United States
Harriet Lerner, feminist and clinical psychologist
Harriet Martineau, English writer, feminist philosopher, and political economist
Harriet Metcalf, Olympic gold medal-winning rower
Harriet Miers, lawyer and politician
Harriet Nahanee, Canadian aboriginal rights activist
Harriet Nahienaena, Hawaiian princess
Harriet Nelson of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
Harriet Owen, actress
Harriet Quimby, pilot; first American female pilot and first woman to fly across the English channel
Harriet Roberts, British dance pop singer
Harriet Anne Scott, English novelist
Harriet Shaw Weaver, journalist and patron of James Joyce
Harriet Smithson, Irish actress and first wife of Berlioz
Harriet Sohmers Zwerling, Beat writer
Harriet Spencer, sister of Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire, one of the leaders of the "ton" in late 1700s England
Harriet Taylor Mill (1807 – 1858), philosopher and women's rights advocate.
Harriet Taylor Upton, suffragette and author
Harriet Tubman, abolitionist, escaped slave and "conductor" on the Underground Railroad
Harriet Wheeler, rock singer
Harriet E. Wilson, the first female African-American novelist
- Harriet in song, story & screen
Harriet M. Welsch, heroine of "Harriet the Spy" (classic children's book)
Harriet the Broodal - Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
Harriet Smith, character in Jane Austen's Emma
In the film "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", Harriet Miller was the the name of the groom's mother. Her name was misprinted as "Harry" on the invitations.
Harriet Olson, mother of Nellie on "Little House on the Prairie"
Harriet Hayes, character in fabulous and short lived TV drama "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"
Harriet Vane, client and eventual wife of Lord Peter Wimsey in the eponymous mysteries by Dorothy Sayers
Harriet Jones, character in British TV series "Dr. Who"
Harriet Schulenberg, lead character in British TV series "Green Wing"
Harriet Vanger, character in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo