Linnea Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Linnea:
Popular name originally bestowed in honor of the Swedish botanist Karl von Linné (1707 - 78), who gave his name to the Linnaean system of classifying plants and animals and to a type of flower (linnaea).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Linnea? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Linnea
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway 2014
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland 2014
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden for 2012
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland for 2012
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway
Contribute your knowledge to the name Linnea
- Comments and insights on the name Linnea
- Personal experiences with the name Linnea
- Nicknames for Linnea
Linn, Nea, Nay-Nay, Linna, Linny
- Meanings and history of the name Linnea
Associated with a small nordic flower called the twinflower, latin name Linnaea borealis. The plant was named after Carl Linnaeus, the swedish botanist, whose favourite was this little pink-belled forest flower. It is the official flower of the Swedish province of Småland, but is loved all over Sweden.
Old Norse "lime tree"
- Famous real-life people named Linnea
Linnéa Vikstr°om, Swedish Singer
Linnea Dale, Norwegian singer
Linnéa Darell, Swedish politician
Linnea Gustafsson, Swedish orienteering competitor
Linnéa Handberg Lund, Danish eurodance musician
Linnéa Hillberg, Swedish actress
Linnea Johnson, American poet and feminist writer
Linnea Mellgren, Swedish figure skater; two-time Nordic silver medalist and Swedish national silver medalist
Linnea Quigley, American scream queen, B movie actress, and film producer
Linnea Sinclair American Science Fiction Romance, Fantasy Romance and Paranormal Romance author
Linnea Torstenson, Swedish handball player
Linnea Henriksson, Swedish singer, came fourth place on Swedish Idol 2010
- Linnea in song, story & screen
The perky protagonist of "Linnea in Monet's Garden" and related books by Cristina Bjork and Lena Anderson.
The life of the namesake and the naming of the twinflower is described beautifully in "Karl, Get Out of the Garden! Carolus Linnaeus and the Naming of Everything" Picture book written by Anita Sanchez, illustrated by Catherine Stock
In the satirical film Nashville (1975), Linnea Reese, a gospel singer, wife of Delbert Reese and loving mother of two deaf children is played by actress Lily Tomlin