Louise Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Louise:
Feminine form of Louis (famous in war), which is from the Germanic Hluodowig, a compound name composed from the elements hluod (famous) and wīg (war, strife).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Louise? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Louise
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2014
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany 2014
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France 2014
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2012
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France 2012
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Louise
- Comments and insights on the name Louise
- Personal experiences with the name Louise
- Nicknames for Louise
Lou, Lulu, Lola, Luna, Lula, Lolly, Weezy, Weez, Touie
Louise is my middle name and when I was a baby and my big brother couldn't say my middle name, he'd call me 'Wheeze' and it kind of stuck. It's embarrassing though.
My name is Louise and my younger brother also couldn't pronounce my name when he was little so he called me Weez. I've been called Weez or Weezy as a nickname my whole life and I like it. I never associate it with "wheezing." I think it's spunky and cute.
- Meanings and history of the name Louise
Originally from Germanic Lutwig which for the French became Louis, the female form of Louis is Louise. Also they might have taken the German name Louisa and Frenchened it by putting an e at the end instead of an a.
Louise means famous warrior.
- Famous real-life people named Louise
Louise Brooks, American film actress and dancer in the 1920s and 1930s, born Mary Louise Brooks
Louise Nevelson, American sculptor
Louise Bourgeois, French-American sculptor
Lady Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary Mountbatten-Windsor, Prince Edward’s daughter
Louise Brown, first baby born through in-vitro fertilization
Louise Lasser, American actress, television writer and performing arts teacher and director. She is best known for her portrayal of the title character on the soap opera satire "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman"
Louise Fletcher, American actress, born Estelle Louise Fletcher
Louise Linton, Scottish actress
Louise Slaughter, American actress; born Dorothy Louise McIntosh
Louise Hay, American motivational author, born Helen Vera Lunney
Louis Penny, Canadian author of mystery novels
- Louise in song, story & screen
Louise Elizabeth Sawyer, protagonist in "Thelma and Louise"
Louise "Weezy" Jefferson, wife of George Jefferson in the 1970s TV comedy "The Jeffersons"
"Every Little Breeze Seems to Whisper Louise" by Maurice Chevalier
"My Sweet Louise" by Ironhorse
"My Sweet Louise" by Pete Molinari
"Hey Louise" by Neil Diamond
The French band Louise Attaque
"Louise, Louisa" by Mew
"Liza and Louise" by NOFX
Louise Belcher, character in Bob’s Burgers