Lynne Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Lynne:
Transferred use of a British place-name derived from the Welsh llyn (lake). It is also thought to have originated as a short form of Lynnette, a name of several derivations, or of Linda (beautiful, tender). Alternatively, Lynn is used as a short form of any of the various names that contain the suffix -lyn(n) or -line. Var: Lyn, Lynn.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lynne? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Lynne
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lynne
- Comments and insights on the name Lynne
- Personal experiences with the name Lynne
- Nicknames for Lynne
- Meanings and history of the name Lynne
A locational surname in Scotland, the place name derived from Scots Gaelic meaning water feature or pool.
A locational surname from any of a number of places in England, the place name in turn derived from old Celtic lenna (meaning pool or lake).
- Famous real-life people named Lynne
* Lynn Abbey (born 1948), American author
* Lynn Collins (born 1979), American actress
* Lynn Davies (born 1942), Welsh athlete
* Lynn Dean (born 1923), Louisiana politician
* Lynn Redgrave (1943-2010), English actress
* Lynn Whitfield (born 1953), American actress
* Lynne Spears, mom to Brittany Spears
- Lynne in song, story & screen