Marian Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Marian:
Variant of Marion, a French diminutive form of Marie, which is derived from the Hebrew Miryām, a name of debated meaning. Many believe it to mean "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow." However, some sources cite the alternative definitions of "rebellion," "wished-for child," and "mistress or lady of the sea."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Marian? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Marian
Contribute your knowledge to the name Marian
- Comments and insights on the name Marian
Adjective having to do with the Virgin Mary.
Marian and Marina are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Marian
I like my name overall. I've never met anyone else even close to my age (born in 1980) named Marian. I've met a couple old ladies named Marian and that's it. I like that it's unique and easy to pronounce, but I really don't like how everyone calls me Maryanne (new acquaintances, restaurant hostesses, take out cashiers, etc.). I also don't like how pretty much everyone except those who know me well spell my name with an O in emails. Even with my name on my signature, people respond with "Dear Marion, ..." Very frustrating. It flows really nicely as a middle name, so I'd say that's a better option because then you don't have to worry about mispronunciation/misspelling.
My name is Marian and it tends to be misspelled as "Marion."
My husband and I have agreed that if we have another daughter, we will name her Marian. I love the sound of it, the spelling with two As, and the association with both the Virgin Mary and the Robin Hood legend.
My name is Marian and I have always loved it. I rarely meet anyone with the proper spelling for the female version. Usually it is Marion. That said, I find it to be an uncommon yet lovely name. It is often misspelled as Marianne, Mary Anne or Marion, which is quite annoying.
My name is Marian as well (born in 1971). Have not met anybody around my age with the same name. I'm pleased it's different. I was named after my grandmother. I have been called Martin, Marlon, Maryanne, Mary Lou, Mary Beth, Marylin...and the list goes on.
- Nicknames for Marian
- Meanings and history of the name Marian
- Famous real-life people named Marian
- Marian Anderson, singer (contralto) with the Metropolitan Opera who famously performed an open-air concert on Easter Sunday, April 9, 1939, on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.
- Marian Ross, American actress
- Marian Finucane, Irish broadcaster.
- Marian Keyes, author.
- Marian in song, story & screen
- Maid Marian of Robin Hood fame.
- "Robin and Marian," a 1976 remake of "Robin Hood" starring Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn.
- Marian Paroo, a.k.a. "Marian the Librarian" in "The Music Man."
- Marian Cunningham (Mrs. C) from "Happy Days"
- The default Marian Hawke from Dragon Age 2
- "Marian" is a song by the band The Sisters of Mercy