Monika Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Monica:
Ancient yet still popular name of uncertain etymology. Monica was the name of the mother of St. Augustine, who was born in Numidia, an ancient country in northern Africa. Thus, the name might be of African origin. However, Monica is said to have been a citizen of Carthage, a city founded by the Phoenicians, so her name might be of Phoenician origin. Alternatively, some believe it to be from the Latin moneo (to advise).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Monika? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Monika
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland 2014
- Armenian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Armenia, 2010
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland 2012
- Armenian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Armenia
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Monika
- Comments and insights on the name Monika
- Personal experiences with the name Monika
- Nicknames for Monika
- Meanings and history of the name Monika
Monika is the German form of the name Monica, and comes from the Latin word meaning "adviser". It may originally been of Phoenician origin, having been the name of a Phoenician goddess.
- Famous real-life people named Monika
Monika Piel, German television announcer and moderator
Monika Meyer, German soccer player
Monika Sozanska, German fencing champion
Monika Mann, German author and daughter of Thomas Mann
Monika Hohlmeier, German politician
Monika, world's favourite waifu
- Monika in song, story & screen
"Summer With Monika", 1953 Ingmar Bergman film starring Harriet Andersson.
“Monika”, a main character in the visual novel Doki Doki Literature Club.