Zola Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Zola? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Zola
Contribute your knowledge to the name Zola
- Comments and insights on the name Zola
- Personal experiences with the name Zola
My daughter is named Zola, and there are two fun things that happen with this beautiful name: 1) While most people have never encountered the name, if they see it, they know how to say it, and if they hear it, they know how to spell it. Very convenient.
2) People who have heard it are divided into those that think it's a reference to Italian-French writer Emile Zola, and those who have spent time in southern Africa and know it as a familiar girl name.
No name regrets here!
I know a girl named Zola! She's very smart and oddly enough fits her name perfectly. Currently, she's a part-time model in which the money she earns is used to pay for a degree in Astro-Physics. Neat huh?
- Nicknames for Zola
Zolie, Zee, Zo, Zo Zo
- Meanings and history of the name Zola
Different origins are given for this name. Some sources give Zola as coming from Latin, meaning "earth" or "ball of earth". Others claim it is a Zulu name, meaning "quiet, tranquil".
- Famous real-life people named Zola
Zola Budd, South African distance runner
Zola Taylor, American singer and member of The Platters
Eddie Murphy and Nicole Mitchell have a daughter named Zola Ivy Murphy.
- Zola in song, story & screen
The Zolas, a Canadian indie rock band.
Zola, creature in "The Legend of Zelda" video game series.
Zola, a character in the TV series "Charmed"
Zola, female mercenary in the video game "Blue Dragon"
Zola Grey Shepherd, adopted daughter of Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd on the TV series "Grey's Anatomy"